Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Map Love

I have no natural sense of direction. If it was up to my own senses, I would probably get lost every day. Justin, on the other hand, can stand in an empty field, and just knows which direction he is pointing. He also remembers how to get somewhere after only being there one time.

When we first got married, he taught me how to use a compass and it has been my best friend ever sense. I make a special effort to memorize what directions roads run, and with the help of my compass, I am a much more confident driver. Again, not brain surgery for most, but for me this is an accomplishment!

At two and half years old, I think David is showing signs of inheriting his dad's directional talent. He tells me how to get to places every day. He even argues with me that I am going to wrong way when I take a route he is unfamiliar with. If I ask him to tell me how to get home, he instructs me using "rights" and "lefts". Granted, I am almost 100% percents sure that this is memorized (after all, he has a 50/50 chance of being right), but he is right most of the time. I love how little brains work!

So what could be better for a little boys who likes getting places than his very first map. He has had so much fun showing off his "surprise" and learning all about the USA! It also made for some great teaching moments for the Fourth of July!

Don't you just love looking at a map. I especially love this map's colors and illustrations. (This map is by eeboo. I found it on the Land of Nod website and then tracked it down on Amazon for better shipping.)

So far he has learned Texas (as he points proudly above), Alabama (because his friend Annalee just went there.), Florida, the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic Ocean, California, Alaska, Missouri (because his Uncle Bud lives there), and Kentucky (where his friend Daniel lives). We need friends in every state! He seems to pick those up the quickest.

0 comments: