Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sweet Dreams - First Sewing Project

So, I have had the inspiration to start sewing more lately. I would consider myself an extreme novice. Other than a couple of pillowcases and maybe a diaper holder here and there, I have no experience. I probably wouldn't recommend washing anything that I have made for fear that it would fall apart, and I am impressed with myself when I sew something in a straight line!

My grandmother taught me how to sew and hand embroider when I was really young, maybe seven or eight years old. I don't think I touched it much after the age of ten. I just lost interest. But when my friend asked me to take a sewing class with her recently, I was all in!

Our assignment was to complete two projects. Of course I jumped the gun a little because I am impatient, and completed my project the first week. I have never cut or used a pattern before and never sewn any kind of clothing, so I was a little intimidated with the whole idea. So after much searching for a cute and most importantly, easy beginning sewing project, I was excited to find this fun pattern by Oliver + S, aptly named Bedtime Story Pajamas. (By the way, no surprise, but boys really get left out of the cute sewing pattern options.) Although, Oliver + S had several that I would love to take on!


I read a bunch of helpful blogs from people who had completed the pattern and the very helpful post of Oliver + S's blog, Learning to Sew With Oliver + S, and decided this would be the pattern for me. I wanted something easy enough that I wouldn't get discouraged and quit and fun enough that I would want to finish it. So after a couple of long nights...Here it is!


Doing a Karate Chop!


David loves them! Justin keeps saying that he can't believe our son is wearing something that I made! I see myself making this pattern many times. Of course, Asher needs some coordinating pjs and I see some cute flannel Christmas jammies in our future too! I guess I better get this out of my system quick before the boys are 16 and matching jammies really hurts their cool points with their buddies!
Justin is also excited because he wants the boys to be Daniel Larusso and Johnny Lawrence from the original Karate Kid for Halloween. I will let you know how that goes!

1 comments:

Kim said...

Adorable! You did really good! And I love the desk chair and dresser. Great job! I am jealous of your ability to see a good thing and know how to make it happen! It really all looks great! And I love Asher's letter's you found for his wall.