WARNING: YOU MAY BE BORED BY THE FOLLOWING POST
One of my resolutions for the new year was to read more. It is easy with a new baby in house, and countless hours spent feeding him, to fall back into old routines of watching too much TV. Since I know myself and my ability to "zone out" when I am into a show I like, when David was old enough to notice the TV, I chose not to watch TV while the kids were awake and I was at home with them during the week. This is as much for my own accountability and my desire to engage my children during the day, as it is for my desire to not have a two-year old TV zombie. However, David usually get to choose one show to watch everyday. This usually ends up being between Sesame Street or Super Why. He also likes Barney, but I can't quite stomach the show, so I tend to influence him otherwise!
So, with that said, this is my journal of books that I am reading. One day, I think it will be fun to look back and see what books interested me. Sorry, if this is incredibly boring to you, but maybe you will find something you like as well.
I LOVED this book and definitely recommend it as a must read for all mothers. With two boys under two, it is easy to get lost in the monotonous days of housework, teaching, training and retraining, directing and redirecting, and discipline, and lose focus on the value and impact we have by nurturing and serving our family everyday. Sally has a gentle way of inspiring mothers with the truth of their calling. This book will challenge, encourage and inspire you to embrace motherhood with your whole heart.
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Album
This was not on my top list of books to read. However, as I was leaving my mom's office one day, I saw it sitting on a shelf and was in need of a book, so I grabbed it. Like most of Album's books, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" is a simple, short, entertaining read that anyone would enjoy. Album tells the story of an 83-year-old man named Eddie and his tragic final moments and the events surrounding it. Eddie wakes up in heaven to meet a series of five unlikely individuals who have been waiting on him to reveal how all our lives are interconnected, whether known or unknown, and give Eddie insight into the true value and meaning of his life. It had some poignant and even profound moments, and although not life-changing for me, I enjoyed it all the same.



2 comments:
Hey Yvette...I've been wanting a new parenting book! I think I am going to order it from Amazon tonight. Thanks for the insight; I am always striving to be a better mommy everyday, so I am excited about this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. And by the way, I think your perspective on not watching too much TV, and spending time with your boys is wonderful. We had 3 kids in 3 1/2 years and although it is so easy (and tempting) to plop the boys down in front of the TV while I take care of their sister, or anything for that matter, I try to remember that is not necessarily the best for them in the longrun. Anyhow, off of that soap box for now. But I enjoyed your post and think you are doing a great job at being a mommy to David and Asher. I've really enjoyed following your sweet family. Hope yall are well.
PS. And I didn't think it was boring at all. :)
Thanks for the advice. When I finish reading the "TWILIGHT" books (for the second time) I'll look into these!
Post a Comment