Thursday, February 24, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham...The Symphony

David received his first introduction to the orchestra last week.  Friday morning, Lori and I planned a date with our big kids (thanks to JoJo watching the babies), and took them to their very first Kinderconcert performed by the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. 


I have been to a lot of children's concerts in my days when I was a working women and headed up the marketing for the East Texas Symphony Orchestra.  So I came prepared knowing that there was a chance this could be a hit and keep him mesmerized or that it could be a complete flop.  Let's face it, I enjoy orchestra music and have been to some great concerts, but I don't just sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the conductor to wave his wand. 

Just as I anticipated, the Introduction to the Instruments lost him completely, but the concert itself turned out to be a hit! The book was performed and sung onstage while the orchestra played and cartoon images came up on the screen.  Not exactly like seeing Disney Pixar on the big screen, but a fun new experience!  He has been talking about going to the "Simpony" ever since.

The week was fun preparing for the event. I broke out my large supply of children's orchestra books and Cd's and we looked and listened to instruments. Of course, we had to listen to Peter and the Wolf.  We watched some fun Sesame Street YouTube videos about the orchestra and orchestra instruments, read Green Eggs and Ham a dozen times and ate our fill as well. Surprising, for a little boy who doesn't like anything green or red on his plate.  I guess that Sam I Am got to him too!


0 comments: