Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Children's Bibles

 I am not quite sure how we have collected so many children's Bibles in our house, but we have a lot.  I like all of them for different reasons and different levels of the boys development, but out newest bible has quickly risen to the top of my list...The Jesus Storybook Bible.  The stories are so well written and the art work is so good that it David is completely captivated.  Impressive, for a little boy who doesn't like to sit still for more than a couple minutes.  I think I like reading it as much as they do. 


I like asking him to retell me the stories and seeing what he comes up with.  His favorite has to be "Jonah and the Big Fish".  I asked him what God wanted Jonah to do.  he responded, "To obey."  Yes, but obey what?  "To obey and go to the big fish."  (I guess the point of that story was kind of lost on him.)  However, last week, I heard him in the living room saying, "I need this cross on my back."  I walked out of the office, and found him pulling on a piece of molding that leads from our living room to our dining room that I had never thought about before, but is in the shape of a cross!  I asked what he was doing.  He ran to the Storybook Bible, found the story of Jesus and the Crucifixion, and said he needed the cross on his back like Jesus.  I said, "Then what happened to Jesus?"  He said, "He was sad.  He needed his Daddy, but then everything was ok."  I would say, he got the point of that story!  Such simple terms to tell such a profound story.  I love it!  He might just be getting what we are teaching him!

"And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up"  Deuteronomy 6: 6-9

1 comments:

Kim said...

So sweet. Aaron reads to Jake and Jack at night before bedtime, and they LOVE it. And we are also seeing that it is starting to "stick." Jack even starts to tell his versions of the stories. Jonah is a favorite, and also Daniel and the Lions Den. :) Precious memories! Keep it up, you are such a good momma!