Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Advent

How are the days passing so quickly!  We have been doing lots of Fall activities and reading lots of "Turkey" books.  David has even snuck in a couple of Christmas books.  I haven't minded, since I love Christmas so much too!  This week, I have been wrapping little tiny packages for our Jesse Tree that we are starting this year.

Inside each tiny package is an ornament.  Each day of the 25 days leading up to Christmas, we will read a different old testament story (beginning with Creation on December 1st and ending with the Birth of Jesus on December 25th) and then unwrap an ornament that corresponds with each story.  The ornaments will hang on a special 2-foot Christmas Tree, our Jesse Tree.  The tree was also Justin's and my first Christmas tree in our first apartment!  By Christmas Day, we will have a tree full of ornaments and hopefully our children will have a better idea of the true meaning of Christmas. 

One of my friends from church had the great idea to get this started in her own family.  She gathered 25 willing participants to each bring an ornament for one of the 25 days, enough for 25 people to each have a complete set.  Some people were making their ornaments.  My ornament, a harp, happened to be sold in packs of two at my local Dollar Tree.  Can't beat that!  Since I am making a lot of Christmas gifts this year, I didn't want to get over my head and add 25 ornaments my list of  "To do's". I can't wait to see what everyone come up with.  Next week we will all gather together to exchange ornaments and bring home a set of 25.  I can't wait to start this new tradition!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Once again, mother of the year award goes to YOU! You are doing a great job, and I don't even have to experience it first hand to know it!

The Gradke Family said...

Sounds like a great idea. I will have to bring this idea up in our next Bible study to see who want to do this with me.
Thanks I love that you post all of your creative ideas on here. Like Kim said Mother of the year. You are doing am amazing job with those boys and I am just reading your blog.

The Davidson Family said...

Love it! I'm inspired...

ally007 said...

i so want to be at your house for story time.
I love how intentional you are with the boys and the Gospel. may the Lord bless you