Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Letter O, Orange, and the Aquarium

A couple week ago, we had a fun trip planned to visit the aquarium. We spent lots of time that week in our pajamas, avoiding the cold and rain outside and getting over colds inside. I sometimes like weeks that force me to be at home and just enjoy being still with my boys. I wanted to get the boys completely well, so we could enjoy our special outing. I had never been to the aquarium and I think I was looking forward to it more than David! Having a field trip planned, made it easy to come up with a fun theme for the week.

Our letter of the week was "O", so I placed this box on his high chair Monday morning. Inside were all kinds of "O" items... an ostrich, octopus, number one, orangutan, oval, "O" book, orange, and oatmeal. He was so excited about his box when he sat down, he said "This is for Day Day?"






We read some great books about fish and sea creatures,

And even went fishing for numbers! (I found this great magnetic fishing pole from the dollar store and made these fish out of foam sheets using an idea from No Time For Flashcards. She used the alphabet, but I thought we needed a little number practice.)

David memorized his bible verse, "Love the Lord with all my heart, soul, and mind" and danced to Steve Green to bring the message home.  Funny note: David use to call any kind of Christian music "Jesus". When I explained to him, that the music was about Jesus, he decided it would be more fitting to call the music "Jesus Music".   He almost daily requests for me to turn on the "Jesus Music" and jump with him.  I think our church's enthusiastic worship style is rubbing off!  

We made some "O"atmeal cookies,



.


and ate some "fishy" food.


And Orange food.



We took an orange bath (or maybe peach). The yellow and red combination did not quite work out like I had hoped.

And finally we took a trip to the Aquarium. Just as fascinating as I had hoped!  I highly recommend a visit!




0 comments: