Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Gardening Lessons

"Who has learned to garden who at the same time did not learn to be patient."
-H.L.V. Fletcher

Our garden has been so much fun this year!  David has truly loved the responsibility of "our" garden.  He has become a careful  inspector, running out each morning to check on our garden's progress.  He is a great weed picker, and waterer, and an avid protector, especially when his little brother is around. 

Asher, on the other hand, has enjoyed taking advantage of the harvest before actual harvest time.  At least, I know that he likes vegetables.  Hopefully he won't get a hold of a jalapeno before David or I can stop him.

We harvested our first vegetable this weekend, broccoli, and we are anxiously awaiting our tomatoes and bell peppers.  Not only has the garden led to terrific teachable moments about how plants and vegetables grow, responsibility, and self-control (we don't take our bike through the garden no matter how "careful" we are being!), it has been a great lesson in patience.  I have had to convince David several times that the garden just needs a little more time.  The enthusiasm has not carried over to the dinner table however.  Mama is learning lessons in patience as well!



2 comments:

Kim said...

I have always wanted to have a garden, but, like you pointed out, I too, don't have the patience it requires. :) I would LOVE some yellow squash and zucchini though. Oh, and peppers, too! Yum! Hope it's a great garden year for yall!

jaime mcnab said...

Yeah for you!!! I am seriously impressed. I have patience I just dont have the discipline!