Sunday, May 22, 2011

1000 Gifts

I always seem to be reading about three books at once.  Usually this includes some kind of fiction (right now I am reading My Name is Mary Sutter), a child or mothering focused book (Mommy, Teach Me), and a spiritual book.  I could put a shout out for all these titles, but my "spiritual" book right now, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, has been transforming!  She teaches you to embrace a radical lifestyle of thanksgiving and in the process finding God in each moment.  I could always use a little more of that! 

I have been meeting with a sweet friend early Sunday mornings before church to talk through some points of this book.  Mostly we have been sharing life.  I have been encouraged and mostly loved on. 

So tonight, I am inspired.  What are the things I am truly grateful for?  Could I recall 1000 gifts, or am I too overwhelmed with the things I am dissatisfied with, ungrateful for, tired of, burdened by?  Living awakened to God's presence, to what he is doing in the here and now, requires living intentionally.  My flesh is too strong.  Too quick to take the joy from what would be a gift if my eyes were really opened.  There is power in Thanksgiving!  So tonight I am grateful.  Grateful for...

- The sweet sounds of rain outside
- Good sheets.
- A little boy who happily sleeps tonight in a fort of blankets under a table.
- A baby boy (kind of) who still goes limp and peaceful in my arms when I rock him back to sing him good night
- The way my hubby loves me, still
- A home that is full of life, friends, experience, defeats, and victories
- Good books

Tomorrow, I will remind myself to be grateful again.

1 comments:

Kim said...

You are one of 3 of my friends that have mentioned this book recently! Guess I need to run out and get it. Thanks for such a sweet post. And I loved reading what you were thankful for right now. You are blessed indeed! Have a great week!