Thursday, August 5, 2010

Baby or Spider Monkey?

So a couple days before we were getting ready to leave for Florida, I put Asher down for a nap and breathed a sign of relief. Both boys were down and I had a lot to do to get ready for the trip. Less than 15 minutes later, I heard crying. Darn! I was really hoping for a good nap today.
I contemplated whether he had just woken himself up and would fall asleep on his own again or if I should go in and try to rock him back to sleep. The crying wasn't bad. It sounded more like tired crying. Eventually, I decided I would go in. I wanted to make sure he got a good nap, so if took a little extra effort, I was willing to do it.
Was I ever glad that I made that decision, because when I entered his room, his crib was EMPTY! Instead, my 9th month old was sitting on the floor, on the opposite side of the room with a goofy smile on his face. I immediately picked him up and started checking him for injuries. He seemed ok. There were no bumps or bruises and all his responses seemed normal. I asked him his two favorite questions, "Where is the fan?" where he quickly threw his hands and head up in the air to point to the fan, and "Can I have a kiss?" where he quickly laid a huge, open-mouth, slobbery kiss on me. I love it!

The only thing I can imagine is that he used his bumper to climb up and basically jump head first out of the crib. I will admit, the thought of Asher climbing out of his crib was not even on my radar. David slept in a crib until he was 2 1/2 and never attempted such an escape. So, I removed everything from his crib and I think we are safe again. However, I am nervous about the future. After all, if he can climb out at 9 months old, how long do I really have until he tries again? Is a crib tent in our future? Does anyone have experience with these?


Unfortunately, the problems don't end with his bed. Other recent escapes include a bath ring escape. I still can't tell you how this happened. I literally turned around for two seconds to grab his towel and this is what I turned around to see. I didn't hear a splash. Did he just stand up and step down?
And attempted shopping cart escapes. All he wants to do is stand in the shopping cart. No belt will keep him strapped down because his bottom is so small. So I guess I will need to invest in a five point harness shopping cart cover as well or commit to holding him. Is there anything more exhausting than taking two children shopping, wrangling one and holding the other the entire time?

And finally high chair escapes. This time, he didn't stand up, he tried to come out through one leg hole. He probably would have been successful if I hadn't been there watching the entire thing. Again, his tiny bottom is the culprit. But it sure is cute!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

Our oldest started crawling out of his crib at 10 months! I didn't even know about crib tents at that time (5 years ago) so we finally just switched him to a toddler bed at 12 months. That wasn't in my realm of thinking as a first time mom! However, my other 3 have never even attempted.

Kim said...

None of mine have done that! And I am thankful, because that would really throw me for a loop! Mine are always in their crib until the next baby comes along, granted our babies are all close in age, but anyhow, I have heard of those tents, and everything I've ever heard has been good! Good luck! :)

Amber said...

We just had to pull out the crib net for Kolt too. He's climbs out all night long otherwise. This probably sounds horrible, but when Kelton was little I put him to bed in wranglers every night for a couple of weeks so he couldn't hike his leg over the side of the bed to crawl out. Finally someone told me about the crib net, so i already had one on hand when Kolt started crawling out. I feel your pain. Both of my boys are so darn active. They manage to get into things that would never even occur to me! Don't worry, active babies make for fun kiddos!