Sunday, October 26, 2008

Abilene, Abilene. Prettiest Place I've Ever Seen

OK not really, but Justin and I do have a love for West Texas. This is often difficult to explain to those of you who have never experienced it, and even more difficult for those of you who did and just don't feel the same way. Maybe our feelings our so strong because of old fashioned nostalgia or because we don't return often enough for our minds to change, but either way, we always enjoy going back.

We ended up driving down for a couple of hours Saturday morning. It also happened to be Homecoming weekend, but we were really just going for work purposes. However, no trip to Abilene is complete without a stop at Perini Ranch. It could not have been a more perfect day. We sat outside and enjoyed the band warming up for the restaurant's 25th anniversary celebration that evening. We splurged and enjoyed all our favorites: fried catfish, green chili hominy, pepper crusted NY strip, roasted potatoes and finished it off with strawberry shortcake! Yum. I already can't wait to go back.




As we were leaving town, we decided to drive through some of the neighborhoods near ACU. We ended up driving by the Big House. We both knew the house was under new ownership, but we weren't quite prepared to see it's new look. These pictures don't really say much unless you know what the house looked like before. In fact, it is kind of hard to picture the house without 10 trucks parked in the front yard. So much for the navy and red scheme.

2 comments:

Honeyed Hashette said...

WOW! The Big House is TOTALLY different. I don't even know what to say. It looks nice. I hope you guys are doing well. :)

Anonymous said...

Abilene is just not the same without the "Big House." I'm not sure I like it's new look. I miss the red, white, and blue.
Are you guys gonna join us for our annual Perini Ranch weekend in January? We are going to rent the ranch house again for Trey and Micah's birthdays.